Wednesday 14 January 2009

Let The Right One In / Låt den rätte komma in (2009)

It is pretty rare for me to watch a horror film, so watching two vampire films in succession is almost unheard of (almost because I once watched the Hammer Dracula movies on consecutive nights). But the two films are special cases, haunting works of art. As I said last night, I'm a bit reticent to bang on about yet another great movie I've seen- in my head I sound like one of those tabloid reviewers who call every other film 'the best action/comedy/drama/love/war/horror film of the year' just to get their name on the billboards' (don't get me wrong, I don't want any fucker quoting me, but I'm wary of sounding trite). But this is one of the great film experiences of the decade- I'm convinced of that after a single viewing. Seriously, this is a film which is so good that I'm terrified of giving anything away and causing even the slightest hint of spoiling the film. I'm very reverent about this film.

What I can say is that Kåre Hedebrant as Oskar (looking like a twelve-year old Danny Torrance from 'The Shining' in a great haircut) and Lina Leandersson as Eli perform wonderfully at the centre of the movie and they are surrounded by magnificent support actors who bring life and individuality to small parts which would be nondescript in a lesser movie. The film looks wonderful, the soundtrack is superb (even the song by the bloke from Roxette is impressive) and the script never fails to intrigue or engage. Tomas Alfredson as Director must take the plaudits for a film which says more in under two hours about the human condition, love, responsibility, pain, confusion, expectation, devotion and death than you have any right to expect from a horror film. And this truly is so much more than that- it is a coming of age film, a genuinely life-affirming romance, a dark commentary on childhood and an exploration of the morality of revenge. Shit, it has everything except belly-laughs.

I'm not saying any more, I can't. As soon as you get the chance, see it. If this film isn't the best of the year, then I may not live through the one that beats it. 10/10- easily.