Wednesday 14 January 2009

Che: Part One (2009)

I was looking forward to this a lot. I have a lot of time for Del Toro and I respect a lot of what Soderbergh tries to do, even if his films usually leave me cold (not just the popcorn-sellers like Ocean's Thirteen either, I can't get on with Sex, Lies and Videotape or Erin Brockovich at all). Most importantly of all, though, the subject matter is compelling. But the film left me flat.

It's well made, it looks great, Del Toro does a great job, the grainy black and white post-revolution interviews contrasted with the vivid jungle warfare were excellent- but it's just dull. Other than the first half-hour which drags, the film isn't flabby- just a bit repetitive. It's not that nothing happens, it is simply that the film didn't engage me when things did happen. Certainly not when they appeared to repeat themselves (it must be hard to differentiate between repeated ambushes in the same type of jungle, I'm sure). If the second part is like this too, then I'd say we're looking at a three-hour movie experience extended into a four-hour-get-the-punters-in-twice cash cow. I call that the Grindhouse effect.

Perhaps I'm being harsh because I've been treated to such genuinely magnificent film-making recently, but I don't think so. I just think Soderbergh got a bit carried away with himself and needed someone making him step back and be objective about what really enhanced the film and what didn't. 5/10. Imagine if there's an extended Director's cut- fuck me!