Sunday 24 October 2010

I Wish This Fitted


I can remember almost to the day when I bought thus tracksuit top. It was at the very end of my drinking days, the morning after my works' Christmas party. Somehow I had lost a coat and so I nipped to Birmingham's Rag Market to see if there was anything I could get as a makeshift replacement. I found this and I could get it on- though only just. Obviously, I had to have it having never even seen another one in the flesh before- nor since, so far anyway- and wore it below a standard trucker denim jacket.

After stopping drinking I gained over a stone (I didn't eat for days on end when I was a drunk) and what was a tight uncomfortable squeeze became an impossible task. And so this sits in my loft, never to be worn and never to be sold. A tragedy.

Here is the incomparable Laurie Cunningham showing how it should look.