Tuesday 26 October 2010

The Evolution Of My Style This Year

Two big things have influenced the way that I dress this year. Firstly, my interest in the Ivy League look (as previously discussed) and secondly the things I have learned from reading The Sartorialist blog. Or, more precisely, looking at the pictures on The Sartorialist blog.

I love and will always love the mid-60s Mod look. I still want to achieve that look. I still believe in clean lines and a lean sillhouette. But I feel this year that I have freed myself up a little to be a bit more expansive with my use of colour and to have, maybe, a sense of fun. This is, to me anyway, very different to dressing with a sense of humour- who wants people to laugh at their clothes?

And so I'm breaking the rules a little, embracing the concept of sprezzatura and also trying to integrate more casual wear (like the vintage denim shirt discussed previously) into my wardrobe. Taking more chances probably means making more mistakes- but that's the learning process.

Here's what I mean.  Throughout today I've been dressed down in a vintage Big E Levis shirt that really needs wearing in (it was a deadstock purchase) and some sandstone chinos. I also have a thermal t-shirt below but that's just circumstances and not a stylistic choice.


When I went to the shops I popped on a peacoat, gloves and a corduroy Breton cap which made me look a little like a chauffeur in retrospect:


I think the overall look makes me look a bit like Murray Melvin in Alfie, which isn't necessarily good look but does link everything back to the mid-60s style I mentioned at the outset. It's the hat I think.


I'll say more about this after more thought.