Thursday 26 November 2009

A quick list of things I like

I like cups of tea and the smell of old hardback books. I like saying things that shock but don't offend. I like dressing in warm clothes made of soft fibres. I like films that make me nostalgic for a time I never lived in. I like the feeling of having very short fingernails. I like it when people remember funny incidents from my past that I've forgotten. I like it when a song makes me forget what I was thinking or feeling before. I like feeling melancholy, but not for very long. I like the smell of fresh cut grass, but then doesn't everyone. I like hugging and I like shaking hands. I like the idea of duvet days but I've never worked anywhere that has them. I like having suits tailored just for me. I like continental Europe and I like being English. I like hearing arcane words and old-fashioned slang. I like it when hot chips melt the butter on my bread. I like going into a room and forgetting what I went in for. I like calling lunch dinner and calling dinner tea. I like the pop and crackle of vinyl records. I like the laughter of children and the chatter of adults. I like looking at the books people read on public transport and judging the author's ability by the readers' expressions. I like my yellow scooter which is older than I am. I like West Bromwich. I like the football team that represents them. And I love my wife more than all of these things and more.