Friday 4 September 2009

Oliver Twist (1948)

oliver-1

It's difficult to know what to mention first- Lean's masterfully clear narrative structure or Guinness's incredible prosthetic nose (what is it about Lean putting Guinness in mad costumes?); Robert Newton's eyeball-rolling losing-it-rapidly Bill Sykes or Guy Green's wonderful almost Expressionistic camerawork; the atmospheric opening or the delicious scenery-eating of Francis L. Sullivan- this is a very rich film. I love the performances, the pace, the storyline and dialogue (though most of the credit there goes Boz, obviously) but most of all I really love the look of the film. The stark monochrome contrast and wonderfully deep set locations in scenes like Sykes' rooftop escape or Twist's flee through the London streets leave an indelible impression on the watcher. This looks more like the London of Dickens' novels than any film I've seen- it is authentic and haunting.

I don't want to say too much, I want to surprise myself when I see it again. Everyone knows the story but this retelling of it is still surprising. Superlative, better even than Lean's Great Expectations. 10/10.

olivertwist