Thursday 9 April 2009

Monsters vs Aliens 3D (2009)

391-monsters_vs_aliensstandaloneprod_affiliate50

Everything I know and hold to be most true about modern animation films has already been captured here. I know that I've linked to that blog just a couple of days earlier but it's my favourite. So there.

I'm not going to say much about this because it's rubbish. Even the kids who packed out the cinema I saw it in were saying things like "it wasn't very funny" and "I nearly fell asleep" as I left. These are people who will happily eat their own snot, it's not a tough audience.

It looks great and the 3D- which is the main reason I went- works well when used (there are long stretches where they appear to have forgotten the opportunities that 3D gives). Champion twat Seth Rogen is probably the best thing in this, which is saying something. His gags are awful but at least he sounds like he believes in them. House M.D.'s maverick Doctor Hugh Laurie plays a mad Doctor. Oh yes. The kids really aren't entertained and where there should be subtle jokes and nods to the adults to complement the slapstick, there are shoehorned references to every Spielberg or DreamWorks film the writers could remember and really poor puns. There is an army chief who is supposed to resemble Lee J. Cobb in Dr Strangelove. He is called W. R. Monger. See what they did there? And the bad guy- I've forgotten his name- looks just like Tim Currie, only with four eyes. Just like him!

And so, aside from a nice nod to 50s B-Movies in the footage shown in the mock war room (they must've watched Strangelove a lot) and the fact that it is in digital 3-D there isn't much to commend it. 1/10

monsters-vs-aliens-header-lg