Tuesday 21 April 2009

In The Loop (2009)

in-the-loop1

"Even the posters are brilliant"

On the strength of The Thick Of It, which I utterly adored, this has probably been my most eagerly awaited cinematic experience of the year. Normally, as anyone who knows me will testify, I would follow such a build-up with a sad recitation of my utter disappointment- such is my tendency to let excitement overtake any sort of realism- but not today. I loved In The Loop. You want funny? This is it. You want pointed? Ditto. Pertinent? Yup, the hat trick!

I would exhort anyone to go and see this, for the scabrous dialogue and hilarious plot and on-the-money performances and- most importantly- for the brutal depiction of politicking in the 21st century. Malcolm Tucker (the awesome Peter Capaldi) is as hilarious and vicious as ever but he's now a small fish in a big pond as the film brings in the US military and some incredibly youthful Washington diplomats all of whom are headed by Tony Soprano and Sledge Hammer.

I write these notes as a reminder to myself but as I'll be buying this on release I won't need any reminders and in case anyone reading hasn't seen this yet, I've avoided any spoilers whatsoever. See it, love it- even the bits that are a little bit of filler- 9/10

in_the_loop_3

in-the-loop2