Tuesday 3 March 2009

The Queen (2006)

I didn't enjoy this at all. It was arid and joyless and unengaging. I found myself thinking, to my shame, that Mirren played her role excellently as did Sheen but I just didn't care about any of it. The premise of the film is actually really interesting, though, so I can't put my finger on what went wrong. Probably a combination of the dull and turgid dialogue (accurate though it doubtless is) and the styling of the film. The actual footage used may well give the film an authenticity, but it also highlights the fact that this is a dramatisation and compromises the whole premise.

Interestingly I read Alastair Campbell's diaries last year and the most vivid chapters concern this period. The Queen chimes almost exactly with events as Campbell described them meaning that either he is spot on or that, as the only published diaries of one of the prominent players at the time, they are the main source. If so, they're far more interesting to read than see- even if the film does offer a better insight from the Monarch's perspective.

I was also really distracted by Dudley Smith from L.A. Confidential playing Prince Philip (badly). Mind you any distractions were welcome by the time he appeared. The only bright spot was Blair's famous hand-kiss gaffe making it on screen. Oh I'm bored just writing about it. 2/10, two marks for the performances. A real wasted opportunity.

the-queen