Thursday 5 March 2009

Critters (1986)

Something unusual now. My friend Shane asked me if I would watch this specifically so that it could appear on this blog. I find that a bit odd but he's a nice bloke and comes from West Bromwich, so I obliged happily. I say happily, I obliged then watched it and it wasn't a happy experience. It isn't a really bad film, it's just a bit crap. But it starts brilliantly. Not the film itself, the credits- when Billy Zane has the most sensible name of any of the actors involved then you know that you're watching a once in a lifetime credit sequence. Seriously, look at the names!

M. EMMET WALSH

BILLY GREEN BUSH

DON OPPER

MICHAEL LEE GOGIN

DOUGLAS KOTH

ART FRANKEL

MONTROSE HAGINS

Why the hell aren't these people stars while boringly-named actors like Will Smith and Tom Hanks have Oscars and multi-million dollar pay-packets thrown at them? It's enough to make you weep. Billy Green Bush must curse at his petrol pump every hour of every single day. And who can blame him? Look at those fucking names.

critters_poster3

The film is pretty shit obviously. It's a Gremlins cash-in, without the wit or the cuteness but with added gore and a sci-fi element. None of the actors are up to much, the plot elements (drunken local who knows the truth but no-one believes him, dysfunctional family learn that they really love each other, world-weary local sheriff rolls back the years to save the day...) are all pretty standard. In fact I could probably write this film myself by cut and pasting from any five scripts from the same period.

On the other hand, I doubt that I'd cast 80's DJ turned TV presenter Pat Sharpe in a lead role. 2/10 (great cast names and short running time).

Pat Sharpe in Critters