Sunday 11 January 2009

Defiance (2009)

I didn't expect much of this. I went along to see it because my wife fancied a trip to the cinema and because I'm a big James Bond fan (I know, I know). But it's a good movie.

There are some good performances in this. Craig is believable as the stoic, reluctant leader as is Liev Schreiber as his combustible brother, but the best turn is by Jamie Bell as a younger brother who comes of age over the course of the film. The location work is excellent and there is an atmosphere of believable fear throughout. I also liked the lack of stereotyping which usually acts as shorthand in war-based films, this film is more intelligent than to do that.

That said, the film is a little overlong and drags in patches. I'd recommend watching it, I wouldn't necessarily buy it. 6/10.