Wednesday 24 December 2008

Singin' In The Rain (1952)

There are things in my life that just don't make sense. Singin' In The Rain is one of them. I was vaguely aware of its existence- in the same way that I know Oklahoma, Seven Brides for Seven Brothers and Calamity Jane exist- without ever having any intention of seeing it. Then, as I worked my way through the IMDB Top 250 a couple of years back it was on there and I was blown away by it. And then everyone I spoke to about it felt the same towards it. Had the world been keeping it a secret for any particular reason? Anyway, this is a scorching film and, having seen it again today, I'm struggling to know where to start with it.

Hollywood loves films about Hollywood (from Chaplin to David Lynch) and this film is up there with Sunset Boulevard as the very best of them. It is about the influence of technology and progress (the advent of talking pictures) and is exemplary of technology and progress (with vivid technicolor sequences, state-of-the-art sound and the expressionist sets for "Gotta Dance"). It is about the need for artistry, talent and star quality and the artifice that lesser talents hide behind. It is about duplicity and corruption and conservatism and politicking and vested interests. It is a very serious movie in many ways.

But it's also a very funny film comedy and a musical with tremendous songs and memorable choreography beautifully accomplished. Everyone in it acts their heart out and they are all clearly having a ball. It is just such a greatly enriching and enjoyable movie experience- a big 9/10 from me. And I generally hate musicals!