Wednesday 22 October 2008

All About My Mother / Todo sobre mi madre (1999)

One of the things I've noticed as I've begun recording these thoughts for myself is that it is far easier to criticise than praise. For 'All About My Mother' I could simply write "Astonishing. 9/10". This is a film that looks at women on the margins of 'normal' life and speaks with depth and interest about motherhood and pretence and expectations and forgiveness and stoicism and compassion and gender and love and sin and theatricality and human frailty and the arts and inspiration and mortality and sexuality and sensuality.

Almodóvar relates stories of interest that are grounded in reality but have an emotional and intellectual depth which invites repeated viewings. Yes, his films look great, yes they have a warmth and human atmosphere, yes he gets great performances from his performers and yes he tells great stories, but his films go beyond all of that. They are all of those things and they are theses on the human condition in addition. Right now I can't think of anyone else in cinema today who challenges and conspires with me as a viewer to anywhere near the same degree. I think he is amazing.

One other thing I've noticed about writing these notes is that they channel my thinking about what I've seen and as I write them I often adjust my rating as a result. Usually, the score goes down as I focus upon the flaws in what I've seen. All About My Mother - 10/10.